Luxion is pleased to announce the release of KeyShot 3! KeyShot 3 is the long-awaited update to KeyShot 2 featuring an all new, patent-pending animation system, major improvements to UI and workflow, over 400 new materials and new importers for NX, Parasolid, JT, Solid Edge and SolidWorks for PC and Mac.
Realtime 3D animation:
Geared towards designers, engineers and marketing professionals, the KeyShot 3 patent-pending animation capabilities break down the complexity when creating part and camera animations from 3D models. Key features include:
- Animation setup, edit and playback take place inside KeyShot’s real-time raytraced environment.
- Rather than relying on setting up keyframes, Luxion has developed a unique, patent-pending animation system based on offset transforms. These transforms can be combined to create complex part and camera animations.
- Offset transforms can moved interactively in the timeline, being copied, pasted, linked with and moved to other parts.
- All animations can be output to standard multi-media formats such as AVI, QuickTime®, or Flash.
Improved User Interface and workflow:
Particular attention has been paid the user interface and workflow. Many areas have been completely redesigned to make the user experience even better than before. A significant amount of new functionality has also been added. Key areas of improvements are:
- Improved model interaction: Individual or multiple parts can now be moved in local or global coordinate space, making it possible to quickly generate exploded views of your model.
- Redesigned library with all new content: The library has been completely redesigned using a folder structure. This makes organizing content much more flexible. The library has also been populated with over 400 materials and over 40 lighting environments with more content available on the KeyShot website.
- Material editing: To make editing of existing materials and creation of new materials simpler, the material dialog has been reworked. Parameters have been logical named and grouped. Texture maps have been grouped under a single tab making it easy to see what texture maps are in use and how they are applied. The realtime preview lets the user explore the changes to the material under the given lighting environment in the scene.
- Texture mapping: Texture mapping has been greatly enhanced with the addition of specular and opacity maps, allowing users to create even more advanced effects with their materials including geometric patterns based on an image. Texture manipulation is now more interactive and allows for better control of the desired result.
- Dialog cleanup: All dialogs have been cleaned up and partially consolidated to make the interaction with the scene easier and the settings more logical. Advanced settings are always present, but never exposed directly to the user. This way the novice user is not overwhelmed, and the advanced user has quick access to an advanced toolset.
More import options on PC and Mac:
For KeyShot 3, the import pipeline has been significantly expanded to include even more native file formats. All formats are now supported on PC and Mac. This makes KeyShot one of the first applications to support file formats of leading CAD applications on both platforms. New importers are:
- NX: Support for NX 8 and prior with the ability to control tessellation.
- Parasolid: Support for native Parasolid files including control of tessellation quality.
- SolidWorks: Support for SolidWorks 2012 and prior (32/64bit). The tessellation can now controlled upon import.
- Autodesk Inventor: Support for Autodesk Inventor 2012 and prior.
- SolidEdge: Support for SolidEdge ST4 and prior with the ability to control the tessellation upon import.
- FBX: The FBX importer now supports part animation that can be imported and played back.
A complete list of all new items inside KeyShot 3 can be found here: keyshot.com/whats_new.pdf